A small unordered list of movies which I highly recommended:
- The Cider House Rules, 1999: A coming-of-age drama based on a novel
- Fried Green Tomatoes, 1991: A slightly comedic coming-of-age drama based on a novel
- Kick-Ass, 2010: A comedy superhero film based on a comic book
- A Perfect World, 1993: A crime drama
- Where the Crawdads Sing, 2022: A coming-of-age drama based on a novel
These are all films that connected with me, and I may have even cried at some point while watching each of them. It looks like all of them tell small underdog stories.
Header image generating using DALL-E. First asked it for "The Flying Spaghetti Monster Day Parade in Union Square, digital art", and then added a "Person throwing darts towards a kid at the parade, digital art" on the left.